Monday, June 9, 2014

I'm a fake

Since I started talking about psychology last entry, I thought I'd stick with it for one more week and talk about impostor syndrome. Every time I feel like I've take a step forward in my aspirations in life, I get a sudden attack of this mental malady. When I was in acting school, my first semester scene study teacher, the infamous Nicholas Martin-Smith, said that some people are afraid of failure (me) and, even worse, some people are afraid of success (me too as it turns out). I didn't really understand what he meant by that second bit, but years later it dawned on me exactly what that meant. I just like to call it by its fancy name.

I'm not stranger to impostor syndrome. It happened back when I was first asked to evaluate translations for the ¿What's in a Nombre? edition of phati'tude literary magazine and then again when I was asked to be the head translator for Jesus Papoleto Melendez's ¡Hey Yo / Yo Soy! 40 Years of Nuyorican Street Poetry for 2Leaf Press. I can remember thinking, quite vividly in the latter case, "It hasn't even been a year since I graduated. What do I know? Why are they even listening to me? Why do they have any confidence at all? I'm still a student!" Of course, what I didn't pay attention to was the other voice in my head that tried to say, "Because you graduated valedictorian of your class of a giant college in the City University of New York system. Because you came highly recommended by the head of Hunter College's translation program. Because you know you're going to work with that poetry for hours to make sure its translations are perfect." But of course, that voice never gets any airtime.
Why do I even let that voice think it's in charge?... It ain't Meryl!

So here I am now, chosen as a Fulbright English Teaching Assistant, and as I hear more and more about my potential responsibilities, I feel it. You see, that "assistant" part has a varying degree of weight. Some people end up running a conversation club, and others end up teaching full classes; it just depends on what the university--in my case the Pontifica Universidad Javeriana--wants to do with you. It's a private university, and I am told that that increases the likelihood of being less of an assistant and more of an independent teacher of my own classes. On one hand, this is great! It's what I want: the more independent the experience, the better. One of the reasons I applied for this fellowship was to let it be a test run for teaching in a university setting. On the other hand, independence is always a scary thing. Implicit in independence is the potential to be lost and confused (yet to find yourself), to be unsure (yet to gain self-reliance), to fail (yet to have a chance at success that is completely of your own making).

There's a lone of thought that always pops up in impostor syndrome. It's what defines it: "Why do they believe in me?" "Why do they listen to me?" "Why do they think I'm of any use?" And it's thought that impostor syndrome occurs from an inability to internalize accomplishments. I'm not sure how one goes about doing that really. What does it mean to internalize an accomplishment? That my identity and the accomplishment are somehow entwined? Maybe that makes sense to you, dear reader, but I can hardly wrap my mind around that beyond that other than what the words mean. However, I do know this: In the end, questions like those actually insult the person or people who have chosen to work with you. The idea that I've some how tricked someone says that they're gullible, stupid, inattentive, or some combination thereof, and I know I don't believe that. When I confront these implications, I can't help but to see how illogical it is.
Sidenote: I love the phrase "reductio ad absurdum" and
try to fit that little gem in whenever I can.
Reductio ad absurdum: I can't both think that these people are as qualified as I do and that I can pull a fast one on them. By seeing that what I'm thinking can't be true, my head gives my heart a helping hand out of the black morass that they wandered in to, and I'll push those voices back into the dark corner they came from. Until next time. Again and again until the time that I can greet them as an old frenemy who has just stopped in town for a visit.

4 comments :

  1. I love this reflection! I think that a great deal of that also has to do with the idea that we're so nervous that the other people that did the task ahead of us were practically perfect in every way and we have to measure up. Sometimes the tasks ahead of us seem more intimidating than they really are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caitlin, thanks for stopping by! :-) I agree with you wholeheartedly. It's definitely been sifting around in the bottom of my worries, so thanks for bringing that aspect of it to my attention. I think we all are acquainted with how easy it is to dehumanize someone you haven't met, and while we normally think about dehumanizing in a degrading sense, I think that effect can allow you to over idealize people as well. It's so easy for your unconscious to project whatever it wants onto the blank canvass of a stranger and just run wild with tall tales to yourself about how great and flawless they must have been.

      I'll probably have to whisper this to my pillow at night a few times in that first month. Hahaha ;)

      Delete
  2. Impostor syndrome sucks. I'm the regular victim as well. I usually try to spin it in my head to the positive.

    A) I feel I will always be more grateful to those who give me these opportunities. They don't give 'em to anybody, and luckily for your brain, THEY made the decision.

    B) You operate with more humility. You know you have to work to make this shit work. You will make yourself to be as authentically a non-poser as possible. And for someone that works like you do, you'll wind up a mile ahead of everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tyler, you old so and so! I think we had a conversation about this a while back when you made some nice strides in your journalism career. But that's some good advice, and you're right, the good part is that it does keep you humble and working hard.

      Delete

Let me know what you're thinkin'...