Sunday, February 22, 2015

The Dark Face of Mother Nature

I'm changing it up this week. I don't feel like writing about Colombia because I'm hella over it right now. I love my job, but the country is driving me full metal crazy. So to take my mind off it, I wrote a story. In French. This is only the second real attempt to write something besides a journal entry in French so bare with me. I translated it to English afterward for the French impaired. It's definitely got a bit of a Lovecraft vibe or at least it started there and then transformed into what I like to think of as the dark face of mother nature. Not my most impressive piece of writing but doing it in the same week a paper and model lesson plan are due for two different classes on top of all the bullshit of life, I'm not that displeased, especially considering the barrier of thinking in your third language. Anyway, enjoy.


Sous terre, je dors et les gens n'ont pas d’idée que j’existe et que j’attends. Je suis tellement vieux comme leurs histoires, mais je ne suis pas un personnage dans leurs contes. En fait, je suis leurs contes. Je suis l’ambiance, l’inspiration et la fin de leurs intrigues. Je n’ai pas de parents ni d’amis. Les humains ont oublié ma forme. J’en suis sûr, car moi même je ne m’en souviens pas, ici, en l’obscurité. Certains m’ont appelé démon et d’autres m’ont donné le nom de Ténèbres et le reste n’ose pas le dire. Ce troisième groupe est le plus intelligent parce que des cultures anciennes et sages savaient qu’en déclarant le nom d’une personne, on donne pouvoir à son propriétaire, de la même façon que répéter des ragots peut les transformer en réalité. Faites attention, mes simples humains, à ce que vous direz: Je vous écoute, ici, dans mon domaine souterrain.

J’existe et j’attends. J’attends le moment parfait pour me révéler à tous, pour m’approprier cette planète et tous ses habitants. Et quand il arrivera, vous n’aurez autre choix que vous rendre parce que cette roche est prête à accueillir son nouveau maître. Vous l’avez trahie et les arbres, les oiseaux, les lacs et les nuées qui auraient été vos amis seront ceux qui vous rendront à la ruine. C’est pour ça que j’y attends, au centre de la Terre, en communiant avec les vers, les asticots, les racines des chênes et les sources des eaux. Ma voix est de la musique. Elle est miel et nectar. Elle est irrésistible quand je désire qu’elle le soit, bien que vous n’ayez pas rendu difficile mon travail, et c’était une prouesse simple, les convaincre de me joindre.

Et maintenant, nous attendons ensemble, les créatures de la Terre et moi. Quand vous regardez le paysage, rempli de paix et de beaux animaux et avec des cieux bleus et quand vous sentez que tout est bon dans le monde, la vérité est que ses bêtes sont en train de comploter votre chute. Il n’y a pas de paix pour vous, il n’y a pas de fuite. C’est le destin que vous avez créé et je crains qu’il n’existe pas d’autre remède. Vous n’avez pas d’alliés. Tous vous ont abandonnés.

En attendant, je vous donne mon sang, noir et collant, pour alimenter vos machines et votre avidité et, maintenant, en si peu de temps, vous avez devenu des toxicomanes, mordus de cette destruction qui semble le progrès et retourne votre propre planète contre vous. Vous buvez cette liqueur et ainsi vous vous rencontrez ivres de la colère que je faisais fermenter pour des siècles dans mes veines, avec ma haine pour vous. Et pourquoi vous détesté-je ? Parce que vous vous croyez forts, invincibles, éternels et vous êtes tout sauf ça.

Ici, je reste, pour le moment, vous donnant ma vie et même si j’ai besoin de vider la dernière goutte pour accomplir mon but et régner comme un simple esprit sans forme dans mon nouveau royaume, je n’hésiterai pas, je n’hésiterai pas...


Underground, I sleep, and no one has any idea I exist, waiting.  I am as old as their stories, but I am not a character in them. In fact, I am their stories. I am the ambiance, the inspiration and the end of their tales. I have not parents nor friends. Humans have forgotten my shape. Of that I am sure because even I don't remember it, here, in the dark. Some have called me demon and others have given me the name of Darkness, and the rest don't dare to say it. This third group is the smartest since ancient and wise cultures knew that speaking the same of a person gives power to its owner, the same way that repeating rumors can transformer them in reality. Be careful, little humans, of what you say: I'm listening, here, in my underground domain.

I exist and I wait. I await the perfect moment to reveal myself to everyone, to dominate this planet and all its inhabitants. And when it comes, you will have no other choice but to give up because this rock is ready to welcome its new master. You have betrayed her, and the trees, the birds, the lakes and the clouds that would have been your friends will be who bring you to ruin. That's why I wait, in the Earth's center, communing with the worms, the maggots, the roots of the oaks and the waters' sources. My voice is music. It is nectar and honey. It is irresistible when I wish it to be, even though you have not made my work hard, and it was a simple feat to convince them to join me.

And now, we wait together, the Earth's creatures and I. When you look into nature, full of peace and beautiful animals and blue skies, and when you feel everything to be right in the world, the truth is that these critters are plotting your downfall. There is no peace for you, no escape. It's the fate you have created and I'm afraid that there's no other way. You have no allies; they've all abandoned you.

I give you my blood, black and sticky, waiting, to feed your machines and your greed, and now, in so little time, you've become addicts, hooked on that destruction that seems like progress and turns your own planet against you. You drink that liquor and thereby find yourselves drunk on the anger that I've fermented for centuries in my veins, with my hate for you. And why do I hate you? Because you believe yourselves to be strong, invincible, eternal, when you are anything but.

Here, I stay, for the moment, giving you my life, and even if I have to drain my last drop to accomplish my goal and rule as a simple, formless spirit in my new realm, I will not hesitate, I will not...

No comments :

Post a Comment

Let me know what you're thinkin'...